We encourage further development of the science in A New Kind of
Science ("NKS")" and other material on this Site.
At the same time, we do need to
protect against misappropriation of our intellectual property and
inadequate attribution. We expect that most of the time people who wish to
use the material found on this Site will know what is appropriate. To
assist people who may be unsure, we have developed the following guidelines
to support the copyright page
in A New Kind of Science.
Please email us with any further questions you may have.
- Personal use is not restricted. Restrictions apply only to
material you wish to present publicly or use commercially.
- There is no charge for use in academic work, but adequate
citation must be given.
- All ideas and results derived from NKS should have references
back to NKS.
- All images, whether published in NKS or generated by NKS
Explorer ("NKSX") should include appropriate citation. NKS Explorer generated
images should include attribution to the software in addition to the
methodology found in NKS.
- Notice of our intellectual property rights should be
incorporated whenever appropriate. This is essential in informing
third parties of these rights, and preventing
- Permission to use NKS materials in no
way implies approval or endorsement of the substance or quality of
your work. Any notation about the use of NKS or NKS Explorer images must
not imply endorsement by Wolfram.
- Any use of copyrighted work beyond that specified in the fair
use guidelines issued by the U.S.
Copyright Office must be authorized by this page or other explicit
- We would appreciate
receiving two copies of any published work that builds on
NKS or incorporates images generated by NKSX. This is for
archival purposes, and it allows us to compile a public bibliography for the
Notes about Specific Types of Use
- Classroom Teaching - If materials are handed out to students
they should reference NKS or NKSX and provide the URL:
- Academic Papers, Monographs & Textbooks - There should be appropriate citation
to NKS as a primary source, and any use of NKSX should be described in a methods section,
or mentioned in the acknowledgments if its use is substantial.
- Images - Attribution for images from or based on NKS, or generated by NKSX,
should appear in the caption of the figure.
- Popular Books, Art Books, Commercial Art &
Decorative/packaging elements - Some fees may be required. Please contact
us for details.
- Journalism - No fees are required for materials for
journalists covering Wolfram and the ideas in NKS, but appropriate attribution and copyright notices must be
- Use in a movie - Any use should be credited; contact
us for details.
- Museum - Exhibit should explain in words the source
of the material presented.
We would appreciate knowing about your uses or intended uses of NKS material. This will help us in refining these
guidelines and our policies. Please at firstname.lastname@example.org.